Partnership & Exchange Programs
Barbara worked as a Study Abroad Advisor for a non-profit study abroad organization in Portland, Maine for three years where she advised students studying in Spain, Portugal, Ireland, the U.K. and Australia before joining the ASU Study Abroad Office in 2013.
- B.A. History (Latin American focus) and B.A. Spanish; Arizona State University
- Tempe Sister Cities high school exchange delegate to Carlow, Ireland
- Undergraduate study abroad: summer faculty-led program to Mexico, Ecuador and Costa Rica; semester in Granada, Spain (with ISA at University of Granada); independent summer internship in Ghana with Women in Progress (non-credit bearing)
- Taught English abroad in Loja, Spain through the Spanish Ministry of Education
- Traveled to Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, Ghana, Morocco, Ireland, the U.K., Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Estonia and Finland
Professional contributions to the field of international education: Barbara served as Content Chair for the Rocky Mountain Lessons from Abroad Planning Committee and the Exhibitor/Sponsor Chair for the Southwest Lessons from Abroad Planning Committee.
Why Barbara works in study abroad: International education is a very dynamic field filled with professionals who are passionate about the programs and students they support. I greatly enjoy the people I work with from colleagues in my immediate office to international exchange partners around the world to ASU students just starting to see the potential opportunities available through studying abroad (and everyone in between).
Advice for students preparing to go abroad: Do your research! It is helpful to learn some details about your host country before arriving. This will allow for easier conversations with locals, classmates, your host family, etc. as well as a greater appreciation of where you are studying abroad.
One of the most important lessons Barbara learned while studying abroad or traveling: Whether it was navigating how to get to Mole National Park after our TroTro broke down in Ghana, negotiating a lease agreement in Spanish, or backpacking through Europe to various countries where I do not speak the language, studying and traveling abroad have taught me to stay calm in the face of challenges. Creativity, a willingness to be flexible, and a positive outlook on a difficult situation all lend to becoming a stronger problem solver. While my instinct was to panic when our TroTro broke down at night on a dirt road to Mole National Park, stepping back, taking a deep breath and getting creative allowed me to negotiate rides to the nearby village with local farmers heading home from their workday.
Office Hours: Mondays 9:30-11:30 a.m., Tuesdays 2:00-4:00 p.m., Wednesdays 2:00-4:00 p.m., Thursdays 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Phone: (480) 965-7987
Need an appointment outside her availability? Send her an email to request one.
Meet with Barbara to discuss year-long, semester and summer partnership and exchange program options in the Caribbean (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos), with CIEE Multiple Destinations programs, Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru), Portugal, Spain, and Semester at Sea.
To make an appointment online:
- Click the Request an appointment button above.
- If you have not already logged in, you will be prompted to do so.
- You will see an email/information request page; your information will be automatically generated.
- Click Click to Request An Appointment in the center of the screen.
- The current week will appear with time slots of appointments available. To look at future weeks, click on Next Week in the top left corner.
- Click the time period that works best for you and then OK.
- You will be re-directed to the email/information request page. Please enter any specific questions you have about studying abroad, including which programs you are considering and what term you plan to study abroad. Please also include your ASU affiliate ID number (if you have one) in your appointment request.
- Click Send