Partnership & Exchange Programs
- B.S. Marketing; York College of Pennsylvania
- M.Ed. Higher & Post-Secondary Education; Arizona State University
- Studied abroad at Richmond College in London, England
- Traveled to England, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, the Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Mexico and the Caribbean
Professional contributions to the field of international education: Shira completed her graduate practicum through the ASU Study Abroad Office in 2009 – 2010, which proved to be a stepping stone to a career in the field. She worked in Academic Affairs for a private study abroad organization before joining the ASU Study Abroad office in 2015.
- Burns, S. (2014, May). Enhancing Academic Preparedness & Engagement through Facebook Group Advising. Presented at the annual NAFSA Technology Fair.
- Burns, S. (2013, May). Best Practices for Incorporating Social Media into the Study Abroad Curriculum. Presented at the annual NAFSA Technology Fair.
Why Shira works in study abroad: This field is filled with opportunities to change lives for the better. I'm inspired every day by our students - and the stories and experiences they have on their programs. I'm a firm believer that intercultural competence gained through international education makes our world a better place, and I feel fortunate to have a part in it.
Advice for students preparing to go abroad: Do plenty of research before you go, but regardless of how much you plan in advance be prepared to embrace some surprises and challenges along the way.
One of the most important lessons Shira learned while studying abroad or traveling: Appreciate the journey of figuring things out and getting lost along the way.
Office Hours: Mondays 12:30 - 2 p.m. and Thursdays: 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Phone: (480) 965-4783
Need an appointment outside of her availability? Send her an email to request one.
Meet with Shira to discuss year-long, semester and summer partnership and exchange program options in Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Russian Federation, Sweden, and EuroScholars, as well as for Global Virtual Internships (last name L-Z).