Novel coronavirus information

Study Abroad FAQs  |  Fall 2020 update  | Novel coronavirus updates

Home / ASU Students / DACA-mented Students/DREAMers

DACAmented Students, or DREAMer Students

We are dedicated to helping all students who wish to pursue a global experience during college. In addition to international opportunities, the Study Abroad Office also offers a number of Domestic Global Programs, where global issues are studies in a US-based destination. 

Process of Studying Abroad Through Advanced Parole

Undocumented students have the opportunity to study abroad through the Department of Homeland Security's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals memorandum (DACA). This page is intended to provide general information to students, parents and university employees regarding DACA and study abroad. This information is not to be considered as legal advice and should not be relied upon as such.

  • DACAmented individuals can apply for specific permission to leave and re-enter the United States for employment, humanitarian and educational reasons, including potentially studying abroad on approved university programs, using a travel document known as Advance Parole.
  • Despite possessing this advance permission to return to the United States, a returning DACA recipient is considered an applicant for admission and could still be subject to removal proceedings based upon applicable grounds of inadmissibility.
  • The fact that the Advance Parole document was issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not mean that it can be safely used by all DACA students.
  • Depending on the DACA student’s specific immigration history, departure from the U.S. and attempted use of an Advance Parole Document may not result in their successful return to the U.S. and could have serious negative consequences for their future immigration process.

The law relating to travel on Advance Parole for DACA students is complicated, and we strongly encourage students to seek counsel with an immigration attorney before considering this as an option. The Arizona Legal Center currently offers Pro Bono counsel through its Immigration Services Project. 

For Updates to DACA from ASU, read more here: DACA Updates from EOSS

Once you’ve discussed your circumstances with legal counsel and decided that you want to study abroad, you should:

  • Attend a Study Abroad 101 Information Session to learn the basics about study abroad.
  • Research programs on the Study Abroad Office website to explore country-specific information and determine which program(s) is/are relevant to your education.
  • Once you have two or three destinations in mind, you should meet with an International Coordinator in the Study Abroad Office to discuss the application process, university compliance procedures, costs and visas.
  • Determine if the study abroad program deadlines align with your DACA renewal (if applicable) timeframe and the application processing timelines for Advance Parole.

Important: ASU’s Study Abroad Office cannot guarantee re-entry back into the United States, even though students are participating in an approved ASU Study Abroad program.

Resources for more information:

DREAMzone ASU – DREAMzone is a resource for the Arizona State University community in support of our undocumented, DACA, and students with families of mixed immigration status. There, you can find resources (at ASU and in the community) for support, and hear from current students or alumni about their experiences.