Health, Safety and Security
As the Associate Director for International Health, Safety and Security in the Arizona State University (ASU) Study Abroad Office, Dan is responsible for all matters related to the health, safety and security of ASU study abroad programs and participants. During his nearly 20 years as an international education professional, Dan has served as a leader in the field in a variety of capacities, including his current role as co-chair of the NAFSA Education Abroad Health & Safety Subcommittee.
Phone: (480) 965-9225
- B.A., French and Jewish Studies; Indiana University
- M.A. Communication; Arizona State University
- Studied abroad in Tel Aviv, Israel
- High school sudy abroad programs in France and Israel
- Traveled abroad to Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Mexico, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey and the United Kingdom
Professional contributions to the field of international education:
- Co-Chair, NAFSA Education Abroad Knowledge Community Health & Safety Subcommittee (current)
- Author, Planning for Safe and Health Travels Abroad: A Good Practices Guide for Students (NAFSA, 2016)
- Moderator and Presenter, “Government Connection: Assessing Security Abroad - The New Normal in Western Europe,” 2017 NAFSA webinar
- Co-presenter, “Developing a Strategic Program Portfolio: How to Make it Happen,” 2017 NAFSA Annual Conference
- Co-presenter, “Preparing for a Crisis Abroad,” 2017 URMIA Western Regional Conference
- Co-presenter, “How to Navigate the Multitude of Education Abroad Programs to Build a Streamlined and Effective Program Portfolio,” 2016 Forum on Education Abroad Annual Conference
- Workshop Presenter, “Finding Water in the Desert – Study Abroad Risk Management with Limited Resources,” 2014 NAFSA Region II Conference
- Co-facilitator, “Working with Program Providers: An Open Dialogue,” 2010 NAFSA Region II/IV Conference
- NAFSA Region II Education Abroad Knowledge Community Liaison, 2009-2010
- Co-author, “Mind the Gap: Application-Based Analysis of Cultural Adjustment Models,” International Journal of Intercultural Relations (32) 538-552
- Co-facilitator, “Blazing New Trails in Education Abroad Sessions through Speed Networking,” 2007 NAFSA Region II Conference
- Co-author, “Mapping Adaptation: Application-Based Analysis of Cultural Adjustment Models,” 2007 National Communication Association (NCA) annual conference
- Registrar, 2002 and 2007 NAFSA Region II Conferences
- Co-facilitator, “Improvisation or Orchestration: Granting Academic Credit for International Internships,” 2006 NAFSA Region II Conference
- Chair and presenter, “Ethical considerations in working with program providers” at NAFSA regions III, V and VI 2003 conferences, and at the 2004 NAFSA annual conference
- Session chair, “Entering & Advancing in the Field of International Education” at 2003 annual NAFSA conference and 2003 NAFSA Region III conference
- Presenter, “Prepare your students to handle and understand culture shock,” 2006 NAFSA Region II Conference
- Poster session, “Exploring the Effects of Study Abroad on Long-Term Life Choices,” 2002 annual NAFSA Conference and NAFSA Region II & VI Conferences
- Presenter, “Myths of Online Applications,” 2002 NAFSA Region VI Conference
Why Dan works in study abroad: I benefited so much from studying abroad, so it brings me great joy to dedicate my career to helping students have a similarly transformative experience.
Advice for students preparing to go abroad: Do some research on the countries/cities/regions you will be visiting - learn what you can about cultural norms, the political situation, the history of the country, and safety/security tips.
One of the most important lessons Dan learned while studying abroad or traveling: My way isn't necessarily the right way.