Medical Insurance Coverage Details and Resources
Most students participating in an ASU study abroad program will be enrolled in a mandatory CISI health insurance plan.* Scroll to the bottom of this page to view a list of programs NOT covered by ASU’s CISI insurance policy.
ASU’s CISI insurance policy will provide you with services and protection in the event you become ill or injured while abroad. CISI also provides you and your family with valuable information and your own password protected myCISI Portal (website) to help you prepare for your trip. Even if you have existing medical insurance coverage, because your policy may not cover you while outside of the US, your mandatory CISI coverage should be used as your primary insurance while abroad.
CISI Policy Resources
- CISI Insurance Plan Details - detailed plan information, including an overview of benefits/coverage (as well as exclusions for high risk activities like parasailing, skydiving, or bungee jumping).
- CISI FAQs - info on how to get care when you are abroad, using CISI’s online and mobile tools, submitting claims, and an overview of CISI’s 24/7 support services.
- myCISI Traveler Mobile App Overview - overview of in-app features and instructions for downloading/activating the free app.
- CISI Claim Form - pdf form to submit to CISI in order to be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket payments made for care provided while covered by ASU’s CISI policy.
CISI Insurance Benefits
- The myCISI Portal and the myCISI Traveler mobile app allow you to:
- Keep an electronic ID card;
- Locate carefully selected, trusted providers and hospitals;
- Arrange direct payment to your provider;
- Access global health and safety news and safety information.
- Your CISI policy gives you:
- Comprehensive medical insurance coverage anywhere outside the U.S.;
- Access to hospitals, clinics, and pharmacy practices anywhere in the world;
- Access to a 24/7 Nurse Helpline for any questions about whether or not you should seek medical care for any health concern and/or how to care for a minor illness or injury;
- Valuable additional benefits like trip delay/interruption and coverage for lost/stolen baggage;
- Additional 24/7 emergency medical, travel, and technical services including assistance with lost passports, prescription drug replacement, obtaining emergency cash, immunization requirements, currency exchange rate information , telephone translation, and travel navigation.
PLEASE NOTE: You cannot access the CISI online tools until you receive the CISI welcome email that includes your insurance card. If you have not received a welcome email from CISI one month prior to departure, please contact email@example.com to let us know so that we can resend your welcome email to you.
CISI Emergency Response
If you are involved in a medical emergency abroad, go immediately to the nearest physician or hospital and then contact CISI. If possible, remember to call CISI before you seek medical treatment so that payment can be arranged for your services. The telephone number is +1 (603) 952-2660 (Collect - Outside the US). If you do not contact CISI prior to your appointment, you may need to pay upfront and get reimbursed by submitting a claim. For questions or assistance prior to your departure, please contact CISI’s 24/7 assistance hotline at +1 (877) 714-8179 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer and Post-Spring program participants will be enrolled in CISI coverage by early April
- Fall Semester and full Academic Year participants will be enrolled by early April
- Winter Break participants will be enrolled by early November
- Pre-Spring, Spring Semester, Spring Break and full Calendar Year participants will be enrolled by early December
- ASU’s CISI insurance policy will cover you beginning one to two days prior to the published program start date and will conclude one day after the published program end date. Students are not permitted to extend coverage under the terms of ASU’s negotiated policy – you will be required to secure your own policy to cover you for any dates beyond the CISI coverage dates.
Programs NOT Covered by CISI
*Participants in ALL domestic (US-based) or virtual (online) programs will NOT be covered by ASU’s CISI insurance policy.
Participants in the following programs are also NOT currently covered by ASU's CISI insurance policy:
- CIEE programs
- Dorrance Scholars Semester in Italy
- IFSA programs
- ISA programs
- Semester at Sea
- University of Arizona programs
- USAC programs
PLEASE NOTE: Beginning with the spring 2022 semester, participants in all SAO programs outside of the United States will be covered by ASU's CISI insurance policy (including those programs listed above).